meg...

Ingen vet hvor haren hopper, ingen vet hvor Lise stopper... Translation: No one knows where the hare jumps, no one knows where Lise stops.. :/

Saturday, March 11, 2006

King of the castle!

Oh bum! I had just written a really long blog and then suddenly it was all gone, and now I will have to start all over again... And I was so pleased with my writing this time - bet it wont be half as good now! *sobs*

Anyway, it is Saturday night and I'm sitting here with Ivan's (new) laptop (I am so jealous), enjoying myself! =)
Ivan, by the way, is my boyfriend who I live with! ....


Remember I mentioned the parliament? Well, I became a few steps wiser yesterday, after visiting it! The tour, I must admit, was a far more interesting than I had expected. The only boring bit about it was having to stand still for so long while our guide told us all about the place! But, it was definitely worth it as I brought home new knowledge that I wouldn't have otherwise!

There was one thing though, that really interested me...


If history is on your list of interests, then feel free to carry on reading. If not, then feel free not to....Anyway, it is your choice.... I am not an author, so my writing isn't all that good... But here we go...

The birth of our king's castle! ...

Norway, had for many years been ruled by Denmark. On the 17th May 1814, Norway became independent and wrote their own constitution... Then, UK and other European countries decided that we had to be a part of Sweden...

Although we were in union with Sweden, were poor and had nothing, we were still determined that we were going to have some independence. It was important for us to find what was truly Norwegian, while at the same time build up our country. We had no hospitals nor schools.

Sweden had many castles while Norway had non, so off course King Karl Johan (the king of Sweden, our king) wanted one! He was a kind man and the castle was going to be built with his money... But, economics wasn't exactly his thing, and the money had run out before he had even got the concrete down. We then had to step in and spend our money. The castle, for this reason, had to be redesigned and a lot smaller than what Karl Johan had originally wanted, but that was the way it had to be....


Ironically, the castle wasn't finished before the king had already been dead for four years!


Well, there's my history lesson over.
.. :P It wasn't exactly about our parliament as such, but I thought it was really interesting, as I had just taken it forgranted that the castle had always been there and had never actually given it a thought! ....

By the way... The huge street going through the centre of Oslo leading up to the caste is named after the king, and it's name is today Karl Johans Gate! :P

Ok, that's it... I'll stop now!!

Tata

6 Comments:

  • At 11/3/06, Anonymous ivan said…

    I´m glad you liked your visit to the parliament=) Seems you learned something interesting as well:)

    klem fra meg

     
  • At 12/3/06, Anonymous Mum said…

    I thought you were writing about Akershus Festning to start with. Interesting post - I didn't know any of that about the 'palace'.

    xxx

     
  • At 12/3/06, Blogger Inglesia said…

    Oh, lol, forgot it was called palace and not castle!*blushes* I'm glad you enjoyed the post and learned something from it :)

     
  • At 22/3/06, Anonymous mum said…

    Hmmm... obviously there's either very little going on in your life so you have nothing to write about, or there's so much going on that you don't get the time. Hopefully the latter :)

    xx

     
  • At 23/3/06, Blogger Inglesia said…

    Hihi, Ivan had been occupying the net doing his uni work while I've been reading some things for school! .... Had my last wisdom tooth taken out today! I'm glad it's gone, but it hurts like hell! I even bit my lip! :(

     
  • At 5/4/06, Anonymous Mum said…

    Oh, poor you. [hugs]

    Looking forward to your next blog post :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home